Thursday, May 19, 2011

Food Truck Lunch Adventure

Hello, divine falafel with toppings galore and sweet potato fries

The Chef: Colleen and Liba food truck

The Menu: Incredibly fresh falafel over organic greens topped with roasted eggplant in tomato sauce, red cabbage with black sesame seed, olive-orange relish, rosemary peanuts, pickled onion, dill cardamom pickles, fresh baby apricot slices with chervil, and housemade hummus dressing. Oh, and the most adorable paper bag of hand-cut sweet potato fries with fresh cilantro, garlic, and lime.

The Goods: Today's lunch was meant to be. I was supposed to be on a flight at noon so didn't pack a lunch. Then, right after I discovered my trip was cancelled, I got an invitation from local vegan chef and VN columnist, Jesse Miner, asking if I'd like to hit up his favorite falafel food truck, Liba. He's been raving about this place for months, and always knows exactly where they're going to be at what time, so VN Associate Editor Jenn and I met up with him for an exciting lunchtime adventure. We headed for Potrero Hill and got in line just before the masses arrived. Gail, the lovely owner, took our orders and gave us a tour of the mouth-watering topping bar. Customers can get a regular falafel ($8), small falafel ($5), or falafel bowl over organic greens ($9), and then pile high on as many toppings as they'd like. Let's just say Jenn and I filled our compostable boxes to the very top and had one of our best falafel meals ever. Jesse suggested we order the sweet potato fries to round out our meal, and at $2 a bag, we couldn't resist. We then headed to a local park and enjoyed our food truck meal under giant trees overlooking the city. Check out where Liba is next by following them on Twitter. You'll be happy you did!

VN columnist Jesse Miner and Jennifer with their mile-high falafel salads

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I'll have to follow them on twitter...wonder if they ever venture down here to the South Bay? A friend of mine promotes the SJ Eats food truck events, it would be wonderful if they were a part!

Valerie's Junk Drawer said...

Looks Delicious! I'm getting hungry and wish I lived close! Let's support them like crazy so that similar foods become available in other areas (louisiana?)!

Kokoda Maps said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh! My bad luck i can't eat this Delicious foods........I'll follow them on twitter...I loved it.....