Friday, March 25, 2011

Mexican Posole Soup

The Chef: Colleen and Gracias Madre

The Menu: A hearty bowl of posole soup from Gracias Madre brimming with hominy, cabbage, avocado, fried tortilla strips, cashew creme, fresh lime juice, and Mexican spices.

The Goods: The perfect antidote after a week of being sick (no fun), this rich homestyle posole was just what the doctor ordered. VN Managing Editor, Elizabeth Castoria, turned me onto this soup a few years ago (her family hails from the Southwest), and I have been loving it ever since. When Gracias Madre opened in the neighborhood more than a year ago, my dreams of a go-to source for a vegan version came true, and I seriously can't get enough. I walk into the restaurant and order a cup to go, but what I really want is the whole darn pot. And I'll pay for it—it's seriously that good. Speaking of posole and the Southwest, we're proofing our May+June issue today (weddings! ramen! banana cream pie!), and we have a terrific piece on traveling to Santa Fe. Yes, a handy guide to a veggie weekend trip to this eclectic and stunning city. Happy travels, everyone, and stay dry!

2 comments:

Debra said...

Looks so yummy!
Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet

Katie said...

that looks amazing.