Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kale Salad with Marinated Tofu & Avocado

The Chef: Colleen
The Menu: Another delicious marinated kale salad topped with sesame-soy tofu and big hunks of fresh avocado. Delish!

The Goods: Although it doesn't seem like it, I really don't eat kale salad every single day for lunch. Sometimes I mix it up with leftovers or a bagel sandwich, other times I go out to lunch with colleagues or for business meetings. I promise! But today the sun is shining, and I couldn't have been happier sitting on the VNHQ deck with fellow staffers eating my marinated kale salad. The dressing was extra zesty due to the (very welcome) gift of lemons from editor Jenn Chen's mom—picked fresh from her new Berkeley backyard. And the tofu was baked with soy sauce, sesame oil, and maple syrup for a really nice glazed addition to the salad. Despite striving to be healthy today, I can't stop thinking about doughnuts after hearing the big news that Seattle-based Mighty-O Donuts won Food Network's Donut Champions last night. The vegan lifestyle has officially taken over the world, and we couldn't be more thrilled to be a part of it. Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that salad looks great. Good enough to be in the magazine, even. And, I'd be willing to bet it's *actually vegan*, which is not a safe bet when looking at VegNews food any more.

whole food vitamins and supplements said...

Avocados are seasonal that's why I make it a point to prepare a different kind of dishes whenever it's available.

tofu cook said...

This is sooo simple, great combination with tofu and kale and avocado. I love it.
Hehe, true, we vegans are going to rule the world :) . Jupiee