Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vegan Quesadillas


The Chefs: Alexandra and Gracias Madre

The Menu: Quesadillas de Calabaza, which are amazing butternut squash-and-caramelized onion filled tortillas doused in cashew nacho cheese with pumpkin seed salsa on top.

The Goods: Come lunch hour today, I had an overwhelming craving for a burrito, or taco, or quesadilla, or anything with salsa on it for that matter. Being in the best neighborhood in the city for Mexican food can do that to a hungry girl. Since it's only day two for me at the VNHQ, I've got a lot to learn, from what's worth reading (check out the newest discussion at VegNews Book Club on The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life) to what's worth eating around here. Fellow Editorial Assistant Anna Peraino joined me, and after about a good thirty seconds of contemplating we decided on staff favorite, Gracias Madre (pretty sure all of the previous Café VegNews posts led us in the right direction). Neither Anna or I had eaten there before, and we were both thrilled as we shared a delicious and filling meal of quesadillas and beet salad. We dined, we drank (OK, so it was only water), and we talked, about our pasts, our futures, and how excited we are to be where we are right now—working at VegNews!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that looks delicious. Fun post!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut said...

I had this dish when I ate at Gracias Madre visiting San Francisco during Valentines Day weekend.

I loved it very much, the cashew cheese taste so savory and had lot of cheesy flavor.

Jennifer said...

Ah, this looks amazingly delicious!! Looks like it's time for me to make a trip to San Francisco!