Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hot & Sour Stir Fry

The Chef: Lisa

The Menu: A super-flavorful hot and sour stir fry. Lisa used thick and starchy tapioca noodles as a hearty base for a stir fry of tomatoes, snow peas, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, jalapeños and leeks, and she topped the whole thing with chopped peanuts. Lighter sides of sprouts and salad made for a refreshing break from the spiciness of the stir fry. Lisa's signature garlicky salad dressing has ensured that no one in the office will be going on a date later tonight.

The Goods: Okay, today we have business that needs attending. Today, as you may have noticed, is the last day of April. This means two things: It's the last day to email us with your submission for our first-ever Reader Recipe Showdown! Hurry!

Since it's the last day of the month, it also means we want to give you stuff! For this month's blog giveaway, leave us a comment and tell us about your favorite flavor combinations.

The Question: Would you have loved the creative leeks-and-jalapeños combo in today's stir fry or are you more of a trusty peanut butter and jelly fan? Leave a comment any time between now and next Wednesday, May 7, when we'll announce the winner.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My MOST favorite flavor combo is a fruity mango salsa with cilantro and jalapenos. The mix of hot and sweet just can't be beat!!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I'm a huge fan of the classic chocolate-mint combination. Recently, chocolate and ginger have been high on my list, as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, guess I should have left my name if I am entering blog giveaway,lol! My most favorite flavor combo is a fruity mango salsa with cilantro and jalapenos. The mix of hot and sweet just can't be beat!!!!

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com said...

I'm all about peanut butter and banana. The perfect marriage. Call me Elvis.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I'm quite the hazelnut & chocolate fan, but that may be too easy?! For savory I like vegan cream cheese & wheat crackers or pretzels!

Lauren said...

Avocado and Cannelini beans!! Creamy and salty, I love it spread on toast! YUM!! :)

Creative Life Studio said...

ONE of my favorites - because I like a lot of yummy things - is a spicy, thai peanut sauce made with peanut butter, garlic, apple cider vinegar, a little cayenne, toasted sesame oil and tamari. Love it over broccoli and noodles for a quick lunch sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Amey said...

a recent flavor fascination for me is fresh limes. I like limes because you can combine them with other flavors for a real zing, in sweet or savory dishes.

I made some lime-coconut cookies followed by a lime-coconut pie.

But I've also really enjoyed the kick of lime in some dinners - an amazing cashew-lime-jalepeno cream in my black bean soup (a nice twist of the classic squeeze of lime over a mound of black beans), and lime juice with the cilantro peanut sauce of some homemade Thai noodles. Also, lime is great because the body absorbs more iron when you also eat a food rich in Vitamin C.

LIMEY!

:) Amey

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hmmmm, this is tough. So many wonderful flavor combinations out there. I think I'm gonna have to go with chocolate and peanut butter. Perfect in every way.

Unknown said...

love mango-avocado-marachino cherry. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm