Thursday, February 7, 2008

Faux Fish Fry

The Chef: Aurelia

The Menu: A gorgeous, glistening stir fry, complete with faux fish. For the former fish-eaters in the office, this imitation was right on the money, and for those who never liked fish, it was just a tad too lifelike. Bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and a delicious Chinese-style sauce made this stir fry one for the record books. Perfectly cooked brown rice and a huge salad of grated carrots, romaine lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes made sure that no one left the table wanting.

The Goods: Living in San Francisco has innumerable benefits, not the least among them is the ready availability of superb mock meats from our many Asian grocery stores. There's just something special about a really good fake fish; it's a little bit less common than, say, faux deli slices and so very satisfying.

The Winner: That's right! Today is officially the day! We were thrilled to get so many great responses to our first-ever blog giveaway. We asked, "What's your favorite comfort meal on a cold, rainy day?" Out of 22 responses, we chose what Lindsay had to say:

"Cold, rainy days make me want to eat piles and piles of mashed potatoes: hot and creamy, with a melty pat of Earth Balance on top and drenched in gravy. Sometimes I will cook up some onion, garlic, and crispy tofu to add to the pile. If I feel a lack of green-ness, I throw in some steamed green beans on the side, which I then proceed to eat with my fingers, like a boor. This is the most comforting of comfort foods!"

This sounds good enough to make us wish for rain! So, Lindsay, send us an email with your contact info and we'll send out your fun bag of goodies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm. The stirfry sounds delicious, but I would skip the faux fish. I have been a lifelong fish hater, so I guess it was easy to give up when I became a vegan.

Everything looks top notch! And I agree with you guys, I would shut myself inside to have a taste of those mashed potatoes! Yum! Great idea with the giveaway. =)